Temperatures are rising and that only means one thing: summer is near!
Make sure your family is prepared for all kinds of fun in the sun by putting together a summer safety kit.
Some important items to include:
1. Sunscreen: Make sure to buy sun block and not sun tan lotion for children. Sun tan lotion contains the lowest level SPF which won’t provide much protection. Instead, look for a product with “Broad Spectrum” coverage. This means it protects against both ultraviolet A and B rays from the sun. Sunscreen should be applied 15 minutes before going outside and reapplied every two hours when swimming/sweating.
3. A children’s headache or pain medication: Be sure your kit has Children’s Tylenol, Children’s Motrin or a similar generic brand.
4. Insect repellent: Buy a product with DEET as the active ingredient but with the lowest strength DEET possible. This is in preference to products that contain citronella which is marketed as “safe” but is not as effective. Avoid repellents that are marketed for “deep woods” use and go for something that is kid or family friendly.
5. An anesthetic: When children get bug bites, an anesthetic can help with the itching. Look for products with pramoxine in it, as this is considered the “gold standard” in terms of providing relief from itching. If your child has a number of bites, use some type of antihistamine like Benadryl.
6. Water bottle: It’s especially important to stay hydrated during the hot Texas summer. Carry an insulated water bottle with cold water to drink frequently.
7. Food and snack items: Fruits and vegetables that are easily transportable are always a good idea for summer outings. Oranges are a great choice as they have extra fluid in them. Other options include bananas, grapes, carrots, celery or anything that can be grabbed quickly on the go and doesn’t need a lot of preparation.
8. Individual health needs: Make sure you have all the necessary items for children with special health needs such as inhalers and medications.
Our more than 200 expert, board-certified physicians know all about keeping kids healthy and happy to reach their full potential. Visit texaschildrenspediatrics.org for more information about any of our 48 convenient neighborhood locations.
Article and content provided by Texas Children’s Pediatrics